Nottingham has a full-time Resource Teacher for the Gifted (RTG). Identification and eligibility of students for gifted services is a four step process that includes referral, screening identification, and re-evaluation. A student may be considered for gifted services at any time during his or her school career in one or more of the following areas:
- Specific academic aptitude English, Math, Science, Social Studies (K – 12)
- Visual and/or Performing Arts aptitude (3 – 12)
Students must be enrolled in Arlington Public Schools to be considered for the eligibility process. The total population is considered in the creation of a candidate pool. Screening of the available test and assessment data occurs annually throughout the school year.
Gifted Referral Process
A student is referred to the gifted services eligibility process based on the following criteria:
- A need for services beyond that provided by the regular instructional program
- Available test information
- Students products and performance done in school
- Academic performance
- Behavioral characteristics of Gifted students
A deadline for G/T referrals by parents, guardians, and community members is April 1st. A referral form may be completed by a classroom teacher or other staff member, a parent/guardian, a community member or a student.
Student referrals are considered by a school-based committee composed of teachers including the referring teacher, the resource teacher for the gifted and principal or designee. All relevant data is reviewed and the decision to identify a student for services or not is made by the committee.
In identifying students for Gifted Services, multiple criteria are are used including the following:
- Observation of in-class behavior
- Honors, awards
- School-based performance data including products and test scores
- Nationally-normed aptitude and or achievement assessments that includes the Naglieri taken by all second graders and the Cognitive Abilities test taken by all fourth graders
- Teacher and parent information
Parent/Guardians are notified of the screen committee’s decision by letter. For more information, visit the APS Gifted Services webpage.
For the Gifted
Ms. Van Valen