Welcome to the ESOL/HILT Program
(English for Speakers of Other Languages/High Intensity Language Training)
Overview The English for Speakers of Other Languages/High Intensity Language Training (ESOL/HILT) program of Arlington Public Schools serves students from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds.ESOL/HILT Program Mission:
Arlington Public Schools is dedicated to honoring and building upon the diverse cultural and language backgrounds of English language learners and to ensure that they achieve their fullest linguistic, academic, cognitive and social potential.
ESOL/HILT Program Vision:
Arlington Public Schools believes that all English Language Learners achieve their fullest potential while building upon their diverse language and cultural backgrounds. The ESOL/HILT office collaborates with APS staff to guide, support and monitor instruction that develops academic language and content knowledge to accelerate student progress. The ESOL/HILT Office also collaborates with APS staff to build effective parental and community involvement that promotes student achievement.
- Criteria for entry, progress, and exit based on student’s level of English proficiency, grades K-12
- Program options and parental choice
- ESOL/HILT instruction:
- Ensures that English language learners (ELL) attain English proficiency in order to develop high levels of academic achievement
- Assists ELL in meeting APS academic content standards that all students are expected to achieve: APS curriculum, Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL); as well as World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA) English Language Proficiency Standards (K – 12) in Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing
- Is research-based using a variety of methods and best practices that integrate language and content
- ESOL/HILT Assessment includes APS ,state SOL and WIDA requirements
- ESOL/HILT teachers are state certified and ESL endorsed Elementary (K-5) ESOL/HILT page
Mrs. Abigail Talone