APS is committed to ensuring the health and safety of our staff and students throughout the entire school day. This includes during lunch, when students will not be able to wear masks while actively eating or drinking. We have developed a plan to protect student health and safety during meals, in accordance with CDC and VDH guidelines for schools.
Lunchtime Health and Safety Procedures
Every school will consistently implement the following health and safety measures during lunch:
- Masks are required in the cafeteria or other designated dining space when students are not actively eating or drinking.
- Masks must be worn, regardless of vaccination status, during arrival to the lunch area, as well as in the serving line and when finished eating or when departing or traveling within the dining space.
- Cafeteria or other dining spaces and frequently touched surfaces will be regularly and thoroughly cleaned by custodial staff between mealtimes.
- Students will be required to wash their hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer before and after eating. Time will be provided for handwashing and sanitizer will be readily available for student use.
- Mealtime will be monitored to ensure adherence to the safety measures in place and to enforce distancing to the extent possible.
Nottingham Dining Protocols
At Nottingham, the following outlines our dining protocols. We are currently fully staffed for lunch and recess supervision.
- OUTSIDE LUNCH PLAN: Students will dine outside daily, weather permitting. Please have your student dress accordingly.
- Students may bring a towel or other item to sit on during lunch.
- Students will wash hands before and after meals and will distance while eating.
- Student meals will be monitored by staff to ensure adherence to health and safety protocols.
- INSIDE DINING: During inclement weather, or when dining inside, students will eat in the following locations:
- Grades Pre-K and K will eat in their classrooms with staff monitors, spread out to the greatest extent possible.
- Grades 1-5 will eat in the cafeteria, during their own designated lunch shift.
- Tables will be sanitized between lunch shifts.
- Students will be seated with their classes.
- Tables are spaced 6 feet apart, plastic shielding will be in place on the tables to indicate where students should sit.
- Cafeteria windows and doors will be open during lunch shifts.
- Classroom windows will be opened while students are eating inside.
- Students will wear masks at all times except when eating or drinking.
APS is currently working with the county on obtaining additional structures to allow for year round outdoor lunch, regardless of weather conditions and we will follow up with that information when available.