Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.
Martin Luther King, Jr. / Strength to Love, 1963.
Nottingham Book Discussion – January 18 (7-8 p.m.) / Nottingham Library
Members of the Nottingham School Counseling program are sponsoring a book discussion on the book, UnSelfie, Why Empathetic Kids Succeed in Our All-About-Me World. This is a very readable book with suggestions for children, teens and adults. Please join the discussions of the 9 essential habits that provide the “Empathy Advantage.”
- A Carnival of Science Fun!
- Sixth Graders will be running the activities
- All are welcome to come!
From Fiction to Reality
No Name-Calling Week was inspired by the popular young adult novel entitled The Misfits by author James Howe. The book tells the story of four best friends trying to survive the seventh grade in the face of all too frequent taunts based on their weight, height, intelligence, and etc. The friends create a new political party during student council elections and run on a platform aimed at wiping out name-calling of all kinds. The No-Name Party in the end wins the support of the school’s principal for their cause and their idea for a “No Name-Calling Day” at school.
Motivated by this simple, yet powerful, idea, the No Name-Calling Week Coalition, consisting of over 60 national partner organizations, organized an actual No Name-Calling Week in schools across the nation. Since then, No Name-Calling Week has been adopted by schools everywhere and has grown into one of the largest bullying-prevention initiatives in the country. For more information go to No Name Calling Week.
National Geographic Family Day
- Register Today! Nat Geo’s Free Family Day is Feb 20
- Starting at 10:00 a.m. at the National Geographic’s headquarters in Washington, D.C.
- For full details and to register, go to National Geographic Family Day.
- 1/16 – MLK Jr. Holiday / No School
- 1/18 – Nottingham Book Discussion – Unselfie – 7:00 – 8:00 p.m. / Library
- 1/20 – Inauguration Day / No School
- 1/24 – Nottingham’s National Geographic Bee – 2:00 – 2:20 p.m.
- 2/03 – Teacher work Day / No School
- 2/08 – Early Release
- 2/20 – Presidents Day / No SchoolThank you for being a partner in your child’s education.
Mary Beth Pelosky