A healthy attitude is contagious but don’t wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier.
Thank you for your efforts to keep our Community of Learners healthy and happy this winter season! As you are aware, this is the time of year when winter takes a toll on school attendance. The colds, fevers and earaches that often come with the winter months, along with snow and inclement weather, can all contribute to a decline in on time arrival to school or even increased absences. Absences due to illness are excused absences, however, they can impact instructional learning and contribute to difficulties with academics. If it is a snowy or rainy day but school is still open, our Knights miss out on learning if they aren’t in class. These absences can result in lower test scores and grades.There’s not much we can do about the weather, but there are two key steps every Nottingham family can take to help avoid additional absences this year.
- Develop back up plans for getting your children to school in winter weather. That could mean checking with other families who have a car that can manage in the snow or forming a “walking school bus” to walk your children to school with other parents/ guardians. If you’re looking for a family to try and pair up with, contact school social worker, Jean Waterbury at Jean.firstname.lastname@example.org / 703-228-8337 or your child’s teacher. They can connect you with other parents or staff members who can help.
- Keep your children healthy. Continue to encourage your child to dress warmly for the cold weather and make sure they’ve got hats and gloves. Encourage your children to wash their hands regularly. If your child/children do get sick, talk to a doctor or Mrs. Cuesta, the school nurse, about whether they should come to school and when it is okay for them to return.
Please contact the school social worker, Jean Waterbury at Jean.email@example.com / 703-228-8337 for additional support. We want your children/our Knights coming to school on time and ready to to learn!
Nottingham Spirit Wear Sale – Deadline to Order is 1/12/17
A Message From Your PTA:
It is time to get excited about Spirit Wear! The PTA is offering several fun, new designs for Nottingham spirit wear. Items include: water bottles, performance shirts, PJ pants, knit caps, picnic blankets, hoodies and t-shirts. Take a look and order now. Sale ends January 12th. Order online here or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to pay offline. Please check your child(s)’ FRIDAY FOLDER for a FULL COLOR BROCHURE showing all of the items for sale! This is a great opportunity to order items for your kiddos to wear to school on Fridays for School Spirit Day! Any questions? Please contact Bonnie Rosenthal, Spirit Wear Chairperson.
Upcoming Spirit Day: January 25 Team Shirt Day
Souper Bowl Food Drive for AFAC
The SCA will be collecting for AFAC (Arlington Food Assistance Center).
The Food Drive will be from January 27 – February 2. Each grade level is being asked to bring in different foods. The grade level that collects the most food will be acknowledged for their efforts.
- Kindergarten: tea, coffee, crackers, cookies, baking mixes, low sugar cereal
- 1st: low sodium canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, pasta sauce; quick meals- such as Hamburger Helper, Taco Kits, Ramen Noodles; cereal
- 2nd: jelly, condiments – mayo, mustard, ketchup, salad dressing, oils – vegetable, canola, olive, cereal
- 3rd: oatmeal, tuna fish, low sodium canned meats, cereal
- 4th: canned fruits and vegetables, cleaning products, laundry detergents, dish soap
- 5th: toiletries – soap, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, floss, toothbrushes, toilet paper, paper towels, and tissues, canned soup, canned beans, cereal
Enjoy a restful weekend and thank you for being a partner in your child’s education.
Mary Beth Pelosky